Saturday, January 29, 2011

Inman Park Graffiti - Art or Eye Sore

Edgewood Ave Graffiti

Graffiti in Inman Park has always been an ongoing problem.  Don't get me wrong, I love street art as much as the next guy.  In fact I think what Banksy does is high art and absolutely enhances the aesthetic quality of the walls and buildings he touches.  To a lessor extent I also feel like Shepherd Fairey's work is really interesting.  Krog street tunnel is really cool.  Those guys use it as their platform for making political statements and also to promote local Atlanta events!  Here's an interesting link to watch how Krog Street tunnel gets painted.

What we see in Inman Park is not art in my opinion it's just kids with too much free time on their hands or gang banger wannabes destroying property and creating eye sores.  That's just my 2 cents.  I know the Inman Park committee has a person dedicated to putting a stop to this nonsense and cleaning up the ugliness.  Thanks for taking an active interest in keeping the neighborhood clean.  Apparently they already have some of the culprits identified and are documenting the mess they have made.  Now if we could only figure out a way to get Banksy to come over from England and put his masterful stencils to work we would really be on to something!

Krog Street Graffiti

No comments:

Post a Comment